[pct-l] mistakes I made while hiking the PCT

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Tue Mar 9 16:11:57 CST 2010

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com wrote:
> I couldn't really continue, but it bothered me that I left.

That is so the way I felt.

I know that grown men aren't supposed to cry, but I cried three times on
the trail.

I cried when I watched my daughter drive away and leave me at the
southern terminus. Partly because I would miss her so much, and partly
because this hike was really starting.

I cried when Nick left Warner Springs, and I stayed behind.

I cried in my room at the Idyllwild Inn when I realized that it was
really over.

My right knee started giving me problems before I was half way to Lake
Morena. I remember pacing like a caged lion in front of the Mount Laguna
Store wanting to get back on the trail, but realizing that my next stop
was going to be San Diego. I watched at least a half dozen hikers come
and go while I was sitting on the porch in front of the store. I hated
sitting there while other hikers packed up and left.

You can't take on a task like a PCT thru hike unless there is a "have
to" in your gut. When the "have to" gives way to a "really can't," it
can be a tough thing to deal with.