[pct-l] filter vs. chemicals

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Jan 17 22:21:45 CST 2010

IMO, it all depends on (1) how fast you want your water drinkable, (2) the preceived quality of the raw water source, and (3) how much weight you're willing to carry.

Many water sources in the first 700 miles of the PCT are reported to be of highly questionable quality. Personally, I'd carry a filter and Aqua Mira from Campo to Kennedy Meadows. I'd send myself a replacement filter element every 200 miles. At KM, I'd send the filter home.

North of Kennedy Meadows, I'd avoid taking water from near the Kern River bridge due to the cattle and swallows, but from there to Canada, if you use good sense in choosing your sources, chemicals are all you'll need.