[pct-l] filter vs. chemicals

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Sun Jan 17 22:10:33 CST 2010

I think, but can't back this up with any numbers, that the majority of
PCT-hikers go with chemicals, Aquamira being the #1 choice.  It's lighter
than carrying a filter and effective against the smaller contaminants that
can make it through filters.  Filters can break down and the filter itself
needs to be replaced.  Filters make more sense for murky or dirty water.
The vast majority of sources on the PCT are very clear, don't need
particulates removed and the chemical treatments are effective in clear
water.

Of course there's more to consider, that's a simplified summary and just my
impression.  I'm sure someone will respond with something more thorough.
Aquamira has worked well for me.

Cheers,
P178