[pct-l] Fw: Trekking poles?

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Thu Jan 14 17:04:42 CST 2010

I can't imagine hiking without them.  Invaluable to have those extra points
of contact when descending rocky passes.  Definitely a huge help in stream
crossings, and equally so on snow.  Comforting to know they're usually going
to be between you and the next rattlesnake or bear when you mutually startle
each other on the trail.  I never found mine a nuisance, used them all the
time.  Unless my memory is way off I recall seeing very few hikers without
them on the PCT.

I can't reference the source but I recall reading that they take a huge
amount of weight off your knees over the course of a single day ... tons if
I'm not mistaken.  I can really feel the difference.  Without them my legs
are working noticeably harder to balance and I'd definitely trip and fall
more often.

-P178