[pct-l] Trace of PCT in Google Earth

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Jan 12 16:04:17 CST 2010

Snowplow wrote:
> There are a couple of sources for kmz files of the PCT. Here is the USFS one:

That is the latest version (2009) of the USFS trace, but unfortunately the "official"  ;-)  trace is
inaccurate in many areas...

Two better options exist utilizing the same data - Halfmile's (and Craig Stanton's for the few sections
Halfmile hasn't GPSed yet):

1. Go to Postholer Maps, <http://postholer.com/gmap/>, in the upper left ("Trail") select "Halfmiles PCT",
then in the upper right of the map ("Map") change map style to "Earth", then zoom in!!

2. More work, but to put it into Google Earth on your computer, download the track data from Halfmile's site,
<http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/trackdl.html> - scroll down to "All California Tracks", "All Oregon Tracks",
and "All Washington Tracks" - download, unzip, and open each 'section track' in GE - move each section track
from "Temporary" up into "My Places" (previously make a new folder there = "Halfmile" to receive the tracks)...
I was only interested in the trace, so I didn't save the "Waypoints" portion of each section...
I also changed each track's "Style, Color" under "Properties" - 2.5 width and a nice bright green, plus gave
each a short name, i.e., "CA-A", "CA-B", etc.
Halfmile also has included some 'extra' trails (side trails and Glacier Peak alternate routes) - I gave them a
different color to differentiate...
(hey - sometimes I have too much time to kill when on graveyard rotation, and I have to stay awake somehow!!)

If you do have GE on your computer, definitely download the USFS trace, also - then compare to Halfmile's...
You, too, will easily see that Halfmile's is much more accurate than the "official" USFS trace...   ;-)

Have fun with it!!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)

Support the Pacific Crest Trail Association and its mission:
Protect, preserve, and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail...
Join, renew, or donate today: <http://www.pcta.org/>

"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result."
- Mahatma Gandhi