[pct-l] Why I do it (was do gooders)

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jan 8 14:14:58 CST 2010

I think that maybe the way you phrased it hurt some feelings.

I, too, was annoyed by the water caches and thought they sent a
message that people didn't think we could do this trail without help.
They cropped up everywhere and made the trail very unsightly. It
looked like trash and ruined the sense of being in the wilderness.
But I decided that it didn't make my hike any better to get upset
about it. I felt good about my ability to manage my water whether
someone left a cache or not. So little of the trail's water was
"natural" water. Too much of it came from faucets and cattle troughs.
After a while, it kind of seemed like a false division between water
in a bottle vs water from a faucet or trough.

Full disclosure: I did take water from caches three times, mostly out
of anger from suffering in the heat. The PCT just seemed so
inappropriately routed sometimes. I think back now and laugh at
myself for complaining so much.

Diane