[pct-l] Backpacking with a bunion info

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 8 00:48:24 CST 2010

I have this on my left foot, and some other bone problems and arthritis in my right foot, hips, and lower back.  Embrace the pain.
It hurts mostly at home, but interestingly I seem to be able to backpack, and once on the trail it gets better.  There is a big difference between walking on hilly uneven rough trails and walking on sidewalks.  As far as the bunion on my left foot, it can throb sometimes keeping me awake at times, but hasn't been too bad lately, I say as a I knock on wood.  With all the problems with my feet, while I don't hike barefoot, I understand what Paul keeps suggesting.  I do however wear increasingly less supportive shoes, even when carrying my camera gear and a medium weight pack.  I even hiked up over Taboose Pass last July in sandals and more often am carrying sandals and wearing shoes or vise versa and switch as necessary.  All footwear hurts my feet to some extent and it is figuring out what is going to be a problem and what is not ten to twenty miles down the trail and finding something I can wear all day for a week at a time that has been an issue for me for over ten years.  What seem to work well for me is something like a mid-weight hiking shoe that breathes well, or at least fits well.  Trail runners like New Ballance are too spongy to me.  If I wanted to walk on sponges I'd buy sponges.  For the last five years I've had pretty good hikes with Merril Moabs, but these don't actually breathe very well, and I also like some of the offerings from Asolo, but I have to be very careful about these as they don't usually feel too good at first.  The important thing is that one finds what works for themselves through trial and experience.  Everyone's feet, walking gate, and pronation are different.