[pct-l] Poncho/tarp

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 23:56:57 CST 2010

"The disposable, emergency ponchos I have are made by Texsport, Item #32770,
PVC, one size fits all with attached hood with a weight of about 3
ounces with the included protective plastic bag carrying it."

Thanks, Paul.  There certainly are a lot of types/brands of
disposable/emergency ponchos, and the thickness and associated weights vary
a lot.  While not the biggest gram weenie in the world, I'm a lot happier
with my 1.7 oz unit than one that weighs 3 oz.  Mine is made by Liberty
Mountain, but the cost was IMO too high, I think over $5 (for *one*).

Part of the problem is that few if any sellers provide the (true) unit
weight, though one can guess if they tell you that it's 3 mil or 2 mil or
whatever thickness of plastic.  It's just hard to find that magic
combination of (a) sold in reasonably small quantities, (b) at a reasonable
price, (c) without too high a shipping charge, (d) some confidence that the
unit weight is under 2 oz ... hard to get all of those stars to align.   I
guess I'm just picky!

Anyway, thanks.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle