[pct-l] tent stakes (tarp stakes, too) and more

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Thu Feb 11 23:17:34 CST 2010

Regarding tent stakes, this afternoon I took out my Stephenson Warmlite
2RS which didn't come with stakes and tried it in the gusty wind and
rain. After inserting the poles and pulling it erect, I got in and
stayed dry. Except for a little rain that go in on me and before I
closed the front door. Had lots of ventilation too. When the wind gusted
from one side or the other the sides only blew in a little.  Then I also
staked the tent on the sides at the front hoop.  And I was cocooned in
nylon. It was easier for me to set up too. I've had a little more
practice with it than my Tarptent Contrail.

Years ago I purchased some Snopeak titanium long (8¼") to use with it
for the front and rear tie outs.  Even though the ground here was
relatively soft due to all the rain, I had to use my foot or another
stake in my hand to push them in.  And all three of the titanium stakes
bent in the middle.  I don't think I'm really that strong though. These
stakes have a vee cross-section so I thought they would be stronger. I
think the stakes that came with my Contrail are stronger.

In a day or two I'll visit my local WalMart to see if they have the
Coleman stakes.

Live and test and learn.

Tortoise

Because truth matters"