[pct-l] Into the Wild with Dumbo Feathers

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 11:05:19 CST 2010

Notice I didn't say he did NOT have a map..I just said he did not know how to read one apparently. :)

He died in place that was not wilderness by Western US standards...never mind Alaska standards.

That's all.

Anyway, my point being the automagical devices ain't gonna save you (and yes, I know the difference
between a PLB and a spot; that's why I posted the links for PLB vs SPOT) if your outdoor knowledge
is lacking.

Too many people depend on Dumbo Feathers rather than knowledge and skill.

Dumbo Feathers aren't bad. They do give family a piece of mind. And that's why they are REALLY for.

But if you  know how to set up a tarp, read a map, or just plain know when to hunker down, you'll
more than likely not get into the predicament in the first place. :)

Anyway, all these post confirm what I wrote 2 yrs ago...we are getting to the point
where society mandates you should have one. And if you don't? You are a selfish, uncaring aberration.
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/The-Changing-Culture-of-Connectivity.html

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/