[pct-l] Recommended Backpack Size

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Feb 8 09:37:10 CST 2010

Good morning, Jeff,

For only four days I get along nicely with about 2,500 cubic inches, which
is a GoLite Breeze mostly full.  For the longest stretches of PCT I extend
the Breeze to about 3,000-3,100 cubic inches.  Even then I don’t really have
to because I refuse compress my sleeping bag so it is poked in loose and
occupies more space than it really could.

Remember the backpacker’s corollary to Parkinson’s Law:  The amount "stuff"
expands to occupy whatever space is available.  Getting rid of the
unnecessary capacity also eliminates the propensity to carry unnecessary
gear.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09