[pct-l] Recommended Backpack Size

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Mon Feb 8 13:08:40 CST 2010

Hi Jeff,

If you can only get four days out of that pack you'll need to either get a
larger pack or reduce the volume of food and/or gear you're planning to put
inside it, because there are many times on the PCT when you will need to
carry more than four days worth of supplies (as well as some areas where you
will need to carry 5+ liters of water).

Depending on how many miles you hike per day the average stretch between
town stops can range from 4-7 days (occasionally more... like if there is a
ton of snow in the Sierra slowing you down or you don't want to go out at
Kearsarge Pass to resupply).

Most thru hikers I know carry a 2 pound pack like the ULA Circuit or Granite
Gear Vapor Trail - which have between 2,400ci and 3,600ci in the main pack
body (plus a few extra pockets on the outside) and this works very well.

If you can get your total base pack weight (all gear minus food and water)
down below 15 lbs you should be able to fit everything inside a 3,800 ci
pack no problem.

Happy trails,
Erik the Black

Ultralight Backpacking Gear Planner: