[pct-l] rangers

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Sun Feb 7 15:19:02 CST 2010

I have heard from rangers in the Sierra that many PCT thruhikers seem to
feel they are "special" and don't have to follow the rules. The Sierra does
have lots of rules because it gets lots of visitors, especially on the John
Muir Trail (which the PCT mostly follows). Bear cans aren't just to keep
your food from being eaten by a bear, it's to keep the bear from associating
the next hiker with easy food. Camping away from water, not camping in
meadows, not building new fire rings. One ranger said he regularly finds NEW
fire rings in meadows etc. early in the season when pretty much the only
ones on the trail yet are thruhikers. The meadows clear of snow first (less
shade), so thrus with feet soaked from slogging through miles of snow build
a fire on the only clear ground (a meadow) to dry shoes and socks and warm
up. Maybe it doesn't look like a meadow yet, as the new grass hasn't
sprouted and only last year's brown grass remains, but now the ranger has to
take the time to remove the fire ring and disperse the ash or every hiker
following will continue to use the illegal fire ring, as since it's there it
must be ok to use, right? Wrong!

Friends, the rangers aren't impressed when we make their lives more
difficult. They would love to be hiking past that meadow without having to
clean it up, would love to talk with a hiker about a good fishing spot or
peak climb rather than clean up the mess a bear made. We can make their
lives easier by doing what is right. Follow the bear can rules, have your
permit handy to show them, don't build new fire rings, pack out your trash.
Then the rangers will be impressed and envious of our trip. Show them we can
set the example for other hikers.