[pct-l] rangers - moving to NOT building fires...

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sun Feb 7 15:36:52 CST 2010

The following is pure personal opinion and not meant to offend or enflame...

I hope that the new crop of hikers anticipating hitting the trail in a
couple months don't build fires - EVER!!!  Even in established campsites
please.

The pace of change in the wilderness is incredibly slow.  When we blast
through and think, "I'll just build a small fire to get warm" our choice is
based in ignorance.  We think, "my little fire and the wood it burns is
almost nil in impact.

However, our ignorance is repeated hundreds and thousands of times over the
course of decades - our "almost nil" impact is additive.

What's worse is the social fire - somehow sitting around a two food wide
fire warms the social heart.  Please - don't do it.

Slow down and feel the pace of change that is the forest's.  This is hard.
But this is where the "leave no trace" ethic starts.  The wilderness gives
us the opportunity to take personal responsibility for paces of change
centuries long.  We are given the opportunity to do what we say - we say we
value the wilderness, and sometimes, feel a sacred connection within it.

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD