[pct-l] Lone Pine vs Independence

Ellen Shopes igellenig at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 14:05:39 CST 2010

Last year I found rides from Horseshoe Meadow for myself and 3 others.  It
took about an hour, during which we relaxed on benches and read interpretive
signs.  Everyone we approached was willing to help, but some had no room in
their vehicles for us and our packs.
Last year there were some very helpful angels at both locales.  The Lone
Pine person ferried a lot of folks around.  The other was based at the
campground at Onion Valley (the exit point for Kearsarge).  The tough part
about KP is its distance from Independence.  It's probably a toss-up which
place is easier to get out (and back) to.
Although KP is xtra miles, it's a nice pass and hike.  If you can arrange
it, you could avoid town from either locale by having someone stash your
supplies in the bear boxes at the trailheads.
Elderly Ellen