[pct-l] october oregon pct hiking

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 16:37:41 CDT 2010

Sherry:

I'm confused. You talk about hiking the OR section of the PCT, but then say you're going northbound from Cascade Locks. That will have you leaving Oregon, and hiking the Washington section instead.

I too live in Portland and yes, our October weather will be rainy and cool. WA will be even more so plus you run a good risk of heavy snow. If you're going to do WA in October, it's better to start high at Manning Park and finish low at Cascade Locks. That way, you'll run into the last of the NOBO through-hikers if you need help.

The North Cascades are very rugged all the way from Canada to Snoqualmie Pass. Once you get north of Harts Pass, there's no way out; you either go on to Canada or backtrack. There will also be hunters around Harts Pass if you need to bail. Be advised, there's no public transportation anywhere near Harts Pass, Mazama, and Winthrop if you did bail.

If doing OR, I'd suggest you start at Mt Ashland (section B) and go north to Cascade Locks, since the highest elevations are in southern OR. You also have more frequent bail-out possibilities going north. Either way, be prepared for multiple days of steady or intermittent rain and high temperatures generally in the mid-40's to low-60's with near or below freezing temperatures at night at altitude. The good news is - no bugs!

Good luck.

Wandering Bob