[pct-l] Sierra City Hostel needs help!

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 13:12:55 CDT 2010

Hey, Grey Fox.  I was wondering how you were doing since kick off.

 It strikes me that the real issue may be economic rather than the issue of
hikers themselves. Sierra City has allowed hikers by the dozen to sleep on
the church lawn.  But the owners of actual lodging have the economic benefit
from those that sought real shelter.  This could be a significant portion of
their income, what keeps them solvent, especially in the current economic
climate; thus a potential desire to limit competition.  They are likely to
have community suppport as locals.

I'm a recovering lawyer, but not in this field.  Sounds like a potential
zoning issue and the question is whether the property was previously used
for loding and what, if anything, the local zoning ordinances provide for.
A former cafe may not be in compliance.

Gourmet