[pct-l] why close the burn areas?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Apr 13 08:28:16 CDT 2010

Because they close the trail for liability reasons means they do not
close the trail for my protection but for theirs. And since I've
walked through many burn zones in my life and seen pristine trail and
not a tree in sight, I know it's not because a tree is going to fall
on me.

Look at the burn zone near Apache Peak where they closed the trail in
'08. What is it, like less than a quarter mile of burned manzanita?
How is that going to hurt me? Look at the burn zone where they closed
100 miles of trail near Belden in '08. 100 miles of trail closed for
about 50 yards of barely singed trees. The trees aren't even dead.
Meanwhile, much of the trail prior to that burn zone was littered
with hundreds of fallen trees.

In Santa Barbara they closed the trails after a fire, some for a
year. There are no trees to fall on you. It's all chaparral and a
moonscape. They went out with trail crews almost immediately then
left the pristine trail to sit there closed for a year. The winter
rains came and washed a lot of the tread work they did away but the
trail's not closed now.

It's all about lawyers is what it is. Actually, it's all about
appearing to the public like they are doing The Right Thing (TM) in
regards to wildfire, which is even worse. That's just marketing.