[pct-l] why close the burn areas?

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Tue Apr 13 00:19:24 CDT 2010

This all makes sense, and I don't disagree about any of those hazards, but
it doesn't make it right. Following this logic, the forests should be closed
when there's a thunderstorm (friend was hit by lightning), snow on the
ground (frostbite, get lost, slip), high winds, fog (could walk off a
cliff), rain (don't slip), high pollen counts (allergies anyone), bridge
out, log crossing the creek is wet (different friend slipped and cut head),
etc. Soon there will be handrails the entire length of the trails. And
better ban all rock climbing, even the experts fall and die.

It's this attitude that caused me to decide to NOT evacuate if a wildfire
caused them to issue evacuation orders. It's not about saving my house (and
I believe I am equipped to do so) but about not being allowed to return for
one to two weeks after the fire is OUT.

AsABat

> In most cases, the PREVIOUSLY burned areas are closed either for safety or
liability (avoiding lawsuit) reasons.

Such as:

To prevent more trail damage.  Fires burn away at deep soil "duff layers"
which cause trail instability.  The trail could collapse on you and this
could hurt, particularly if you are on a switchback.  Using the trail when
it is damaged will only degrade it faster.  I have, at times, stepped on
what I thought was a trail only to sink knee deep into an ash pit.

Falling trees.  If you look at fatality statistics amongst firefighters,
more are killed in vehicle accidents than from falling trees, however, this
is a huge liability issue.  Inclement weather (wind & soft soil) will
increase the number of falling trees.