[pct-l] Sleeping bag liners

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Apr 2 09:11:19 CDT 2010

On Apr 2, 2010, at 6:55 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> my stinky filthy body is going to be pretty rough on the
> down fill in my bag...
>
> Quick PCT-L poll: how many people use each of the following options:
>
> *  Sleeping bag liner
> *  Dedicated sleeping clothes
> *  Nothing in particular - I don't worry about it

I swear to you that this is true.

I did a long section last year and hiked mainly in the hottest,
stickiest, sweatiest months. I smelled awful. I sweated up my bag
each night. I slept in my clothes in my bare feet. I did make an
attempt every night to wash my feet and legs with my bandana and a
little water.

When I got home, after my 1800 mile journey, I laid my quilt out in
the sun for half a day. I thought maybe I ought to wash it. Gingerly
I brought it up to my nose to check and there was no smell. I looked
closely and there was no dirt, either. None visible anyway. The bag
is black on the inside.

So for a 4th option, consider just washing yourself before bed.

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes