[pct-l] Sleeping bag liners

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Apr 2 10:08:11 CDT 2010

Good morning, all,

I don’t use a sleeping bag liner.  With the first decent bag that I bought
over 50 years ago I swallowed the ad line and bought a liner for the same
reasons being touted today.  When I tried it at home I became peeved at how
easily it stuck to me, and how easily it slid on the inside of the bag.  The
result was I got all tangled up in the dang thing.  But – consistent with
human nature – I felt that since I had bought it, I was going to use it.  And
I did, or at least for about the first hour of the first trip, then out it
came – never to return.  Subsequently I used it only as a dust cover on the
outside of the bag when I hung it in the closet between trips.

Bags do become somewhat soiled when one sleeps in them without a liner or
without separate sleeping clothes, but there’s really no harm in doing so
and the weight savings is significant.  Some say the liner adds warmth – and
it probably does -- but I say the added weight for the additional warmth is
inefficient.  Much better would be to get a bag with an ounce or two more
down instead.

When I crawl into the sack much of any yucky feeling is the result of salt
accumulation on my skin.  Salt has a great affinity for moisture and in the
presence of humidity and warmth the feeling is clammy or damp.  Useful is to
try to rid the skin of excess salt.  Water alone works; it’s not really
necessary to use soap.  Various foil-wrapped wipes are OK, but water is
best.

Much of the stink that eventually accumulates in a bag, or in clothes, is
the result of various volatile body waist constituents in the presence of
bacteria – particularly noticeable after having eaten a 2-pound bean burrito
in the last trail town.  Daily spreading of the bag in the presence of fresh
air and sunshine does wonders to remove the stink.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09