[pct-l] shoes

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat Nov 21 13:11:23 CST 2009

I have wide feet and when I gave up boots in 1994 I went to New Balance
as the only running shoe maker that made EEEE shoes that were actually
wide enough for my feet.

After a number of month and longer section hikes, my feet stayed wide.
You'll get lots of opinions on whether feet actually change width as a
consequence of daily pounding, week after week.  Mine not only got wider
-from D to EEEE, they got longer too, from 12 to 13 and a half.

I think there are more manufacturers out there making wide running shoes
than New Balance now.  That said, I have stuck with the New Balance 800
series since the mid-90s.  I think they are on 812 now.  They even
generated a retro 801 a year or two ago.

You can buy them in the winter for about $60 - sometimes less if you get
the outlets when they are trying to get rid of stock.

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/
http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/
http://tricitynewbalance.com/

Sometimes sierratradingpost.com has the 800 series on sale.

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD - Wave at me as you fly over!