[pct-l] shoes

Matt Thyer matt_thyer at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 21 12:51:58 CST 2009

Howdy JJ,

Ah one of my favorite topics, here's my opinion on the topic.  First,
realize that's about all you're going to get with foot wear.  Opinions.
There's literally no objective methodology to determine if a shoe is better
for you or not.  Don't believe me, do you?  Well here's my experience, my
observations over a long period of trail miles.

Last spring I started running and hiking barefoot.  And by spring I mean the
tail end of winter.  The ground in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness was cold and
hard, and before I started going to the trail this way I wouldn't have
thought it was possible.  I would have guessed that just the cold would
prevent me from making it much past the trail head.  Boy was I wrong.  Over
the spring, summer, and fall I ended up covering about 1,700 miles.  And
nearly 47% of that was without anything on my feet.

I ended up getting some new shoes for running and hiking, La Sportiva
Crosslites < http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/531>, which gave my feet
a little abrasion protections and the myth of padding.  But letting my feet
get strong by using the fully has resulted in more resilient equipment.
Pronation, ankle and knee pain is no longer an issue.  Even when I wear
these though I'm likely to take them off from time to time and travel au
natural.  The best part is talking to my podiatrist who has been able to
measure the improvement in my feet, even the left one which he put back
together.

Whatever you end up with make sure that they are as comfortable as you can
get em, but don't sacrifice your own strength to get there.

My 2 cents,

Matt Thyer