[pct-l] To Axe or Not to Axe

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Fri Nov 20 00:39:01 CST 2009

Please keep in mind that an ice axe is useless unless you have foreseen the
need, because the slope looked dangerous, based on your prior experience,
have taken the axe off your pack, placed it in your uphill hand, and know
what to do with it should you fall and start sliding down the hill toward
those rocks below.

Altogether too many thru hikers do not know what to do with an axe, feel
that they should have one, however, and carry it along for the ride down
their next slip-and-fall.

Whether you convert your hiking pole into a self-arrest pole at Kennedy or
carry an axe into the Sierra, know how to recognize when you'll need it so
you'll have it in hand when conditions look and feel dangerous.

Note that in Denis Stanton's prior post, he stated that "Fortunately the
large rocks further down the slope were much more effective at slowing me
down." Not all falls will kill you, many will hurt, and most will only make
you laugh like mad. Nevertheless, be wise and prepare for what's ahead.

Mtnned