[pct-l] Alpenstocks and Self-Arrest Poles

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Thu Nov 19 23:48:09 CST 2009

Once you've broken loose an started to slide a hiking pole is pretty
useless - unless...

Unless you've shortened the pole and as you fall you either have the
shortened pole already buried to the handle anticipating a slip/fall
with every step, or are able to bury it before your body begins to fall
down the hill.

I've hiked across steep snow and self-arrested by not moving unless my
20" hiking pole was buried up to the handle.  I've slipped and not
started sliding.  Slow going.  And no good when it's too icy anyway...

Better to have a 20 year window and hike the Sierra on a low snow year -
maybe 2019???

Jeff, just Jeff, being not so funny...