[pct-l] WTA on Suiattle River Crossing repair

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat May 9 19:12:47 CDT 2009

On a side note I hiked down from Horseshoe Meadows over Trail Pass to
the Kern River last summer.  ON the last 900' drop to the river my
friend and I were amazed to see a white helicopter make its way up the
canyon about a half mile from where the trail crosses the river into
sequoia national park, and then back down again.  It landed in a little
grassy area a hundred yards or so from the ranger hut, idled for five
minutes as stuff was unloaded, and then it took off again.

They couldn't have done this if the landing zone had been 100 yards
across the river in the national forest.  I guess it's cheaper than
putting ranger stuff on mules and hoofing it the six miles up from the
trailhead?

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD