[pct-l] WTA on Suiattle River Crossing repair

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Sat May 9 17:20:38 CDT 2009

Marion wrote:

The mission of the NFS and the mission of the NPS are quite different.
The NFS mission is to conserve a resource and allow for multiple use,
including logging, mining, fishing, hunting, motor and non-motor
recreation.  The NFS allows activities in its wilderness that don't
violate the wilderness act (such as, hunting in season)
The NPS mission is to protect for eternity a unique feature.

That's true, which is why it's ironic that the National Park Service seems
to have no problem using chainsaws for trail maintenance in wilderness
areas, while the Forest Service usually doesn't allow it.

The 1964 Wilderness Act does provide for use of motorized equipment when
lives are at risk.  That usually means search and rescue, but sometimes that
clause has been interpreted to allow motorized equipment for trail
maintenance on the theory that it drastically reduces the possibility of
injury or death for the crew workers (which is often true).  I believe
that's the justification they use in Olympic National Park, where they often
have to clear downed trees that are 6 or 8 feet in diameter.  It's difficult
and dangerous enough for a skilled chainsaw operator - I can't imagine doing
it with a cross-cut saw.

Regarding the Suiattle River crossing - the need for the bridge is a) for
stock, since the PCT is supposed to be stock-passable, and b) because the
current logs and things that people have been using could get washed away at
any time.  Of course, the same is true of a proper bridge.  I'm not sure
it's possible to build a bridge across the Suiattle that will stand up to a
50-year storm (which seem to be turning into 10-year or 5-year storms around
here) without a gigantic concrete edifice.  Is it worth replacing that
bridge every ten years?  I don't know.

Back to the use of the mini-excavator - it seems to me that if the bridge is
going to be built, it ought to be built by whatever means affords the
greatest amount of safety for the construction crew.  I don't know if that's
blasting or the mini-excavator, but the crew ought to make that choice
themselves.  It's just a trail, after all.  No need to put anyone's life at
risk over it.

Eric