[pct-l] Just going to put this out there for Metzger to consider

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon May 4 10:16:43 CDT 2009

Geez, Mark.  If you didn't like the list, you didn't have to participate.
Last time I checked, this was voluntary. If you didn't like certain topics,
threads, or posters, you can delete them before ever reading them.  You can
block email addresses too, eliminating posts from those who annoy you. I
find it very interesting that you chose to subject yourself to something you
didn't like, and then want to blame it on others.

As to Reinhold, I put this out there for ALL to consider.  We are a diverse
group in many, many ways on the social, economic, and generational scales.
Views, attitudes, and political leanings range the spectrum.  Risking the
folly of stereotyping, the young and the diversity/sensitivity-trained on
this list know that sexist or racial comments are wrong and unacceptable,
yet it is generally acknowledged that many in the older generation do not
seem to have caught onto the shift in attitudes and acceptability. IMHO,
Reinhold is simply an example of that. Does that make him an evil troll?
No.  It merely makes him an example of a generation that doesn't see the
harm in making sexist or very un-PC remarks.  Personally, I don't think
Reinhold has never meant to cause offense.  I perceive that he may be
oblivious to the fact that many find his comments about females and sex
offensive.

It is good and healthy and right to tell someone that you find their remarks
offensive, but the call for outright banishment is a pretty severe reaction,
especially for someone as accomplished on trails as Reinhold.  Perhaps this
brouhaha will temper his comments going forward.  At least we can hope.  He
is valued as a member of this community, and is respected in many circles
for his achievements in the hiking world. He has a wealth of experience,
passion for the trail, and unflaggingly attempts to lighten the attitude of
the list through his (sometimes misguided) attempts at cheerfulness and
humor.

As for me, I treasure the crusty relics of a past generation, even though I
don't personally share their views.  Jack Fair was one of the most
offensive, foul-mouthed, course-edged cantankerous old guys that ever walked
the earth, but was also one of the most beloved and memorable people along
the trail. The world may be more politically correct, but it is certainly a
lot more bland without the imperfect characters in it.

L-Rod