[pct-l] April 1st Sierra Snow Conditions

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 31 00:37:41 CDT 2009

Yeah, I can just see the look on my N.Cal friends' faces...

But yes you are correct.  Rain in the mountains will only melt off snowpack,
which is what causes stuff like the big floods in Yosemite and Reno etc...
Wierd though that there is a lot of snow in  afew areas and very little in
others.  A couple seasons ago I saw a couple lakes that last all season
completely dry, yikes.  and this last season in June the big South Lake
resoviour above Bishop looked like it had returned to its original creek run
at the inlet.  Another yikes, but there was still snow to melt.  Still,
pretty freakin low considering there wasn't very much snow to melt.  And
this has been going on for about ten years with only a couple regular snow
seasons, since the last El Nino.  That my friends would be a nice change,
but not for hikers.  I remember the last one very well.  A few cars floated,
but it certainly ended most talk of drought for quite a while.  I also
remember the run off in the South Fork Kings drainage in June of that year.
White rage !  By August the approaches to Muir Pass were still pretty much
snow bound by deep sun cups, and I remember crossing Lamarck Col with an ice
axe.  There was water flowing everywhere.  I hiked up to the JMT/PCT that
June above Vidette Meadow, which was completely flooded, and lost the trail
completely just past Bullfrog Lake. It wasn't much fun wallowing around in
all that chunky snow and must have been a miserable year for a lot of folks
who may have attempted to get thru.  The way I figured it, we were still
hiking on a lot of that snow a year later...  But while a huge snow year
wont solve long term issues, it would certainly bolster some of these low
lakes and maybe put a little in the bank.