[pct-l] April 1st Sierra Snow Conditions

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Tue Mar 31 00:10:58 CDT 2009

You're right, of course. <TIC mode> I'm starting the initiative process
to require the entire population of Los Angeles to move to northern
California! Where should we send them - Crescent City or Mt. Shasta?

And actually, we the state of California need snow, not rain. I know
it's not good for early season hikers, but the Sierra snow pack is the
largest "reservoir" we all have. The state is in bad shape financially,
and businesses going under for lack of water is sure not going to help.
</TIC mode>

But back on topic:

Certainly the low snow pack is good for the hikers. At least until the
streams dry up. With Tyndall so low versus normal, the upper streams in
the alpine country approaching the passes will go dry sooner than usual.

AsABat

> > For those that live in California this is very bad news indeed.
>
> It's good news for northbound thru-hikers which was the only point.
>
> Not in context of a thru-hike or this list, *southern* California is
over
> populated and over developed. It's not a question of climate or
snowpack,
> it's a matter of excessive demand on available resources.
Self-inflicted