[pct-l] April 1st Sierra Snow Conditions

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Tue Mar 31 08:18:01 CDT 2009

A book I read, A Dangerous Place, states that the  normal flow of the Los
Angeles River would only support a population of 250,000.  That's why LA has been
stealing water going back to the Jack Nicholson days  (Chinatown).
    The book also discusses the stupendous,  instantaneous effect of a big
quake anywhere from the Sacramento Delta to  LA on those conduits of that stolen
water, the LA & CA Aqueducts. The damage  might take up to a month to repair.
You hikers that live in CA know how to dig  catholes and have water filters,
so you'll get by. I won't even get into the  other things you'd have to deal
with.
    Mountain and river water, and cat holes, are on  topic. So, no complaints
about being off topic, please.

In a message dated 3/30/2009 11:16:19 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
public at postholer.com writes:

> For  those that live in California this is very bad news indeed.

It's good  news for northbound thru-hikers which was the only point.

Not in  context of a thru-hike or this list, *southern* California is over
populated and over developed. It's not a question of climate or snowpack,
it's a matter of excessive demand on available resources. Self-inflicted
drought is a human problem not one of  nature.

-postholer

Trails  : http://Postholer.Com
Journals : http://Postholer.Com/journal
Mobile :  http://Postholer.Com/mobi