[pct-l] SRL camera

Paul paul_c at tuxcnc.org
Sun Mar 22 03:48:46 CDT 2009

Hi Sarah

On Sunday 22 March 2009, Sarah B wrote:
> I haven't used anything but a digital SLR camera in years, and I know some
> others have taken them on the PCT.  Any advice on how to carry such a
> camera so that it is easily accessible but not bouncing around all over the
> place?

I am guilty of lugging cameras on my travels (the kit often weighs more than
the backpacking stuff) - I generally carry an SLR in a top loading pouch that
is clipped to the pack's shoulder straps with a pair of cheap snap links[1].

> Any other advice or comments appreciated, even if you tell me to
> suck it up and go point and shoot.

Don't keep the camera in your pack - If it isn't to hand to "capture the
moment", then you may as well have left it at home.

 There will be times when a tripod is nice to have, but even lightweight
carbon fibre ones tip the scales at over 2lbs - I've packed an Ultrapod[2]
for years as an alternative. Often though, I find the strap too short..

Batteries - Always carry a spare, but I guess you already know that ;)

Regards, Paul.

[1] http://www.rei.com/product/618419
[2] http://www.pedcopods.com/specsup2.htm (also available from REI)