[pct-l] SRL camera

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sun Mar 22 00:17:58 CDT 2009

Sarah B wrote:
> I haven't used anything but a digital SLR camera in years, and I know
> some others have taken them on the PCT.  Any advice on how to carry
> such a camera so that it is easily accessible but not bouncing around
> all over the place? Any other advice or comments appreciated, even if
> you tell me to suck it up and go point and shoot.

An SLR camera is pretty heavy to carry on the trail, but if you feel
that the quality of pictures you get from it is worth the weight, go for it.

I carried a rather large and heavy camera myself, and I'm glad I did. I
found a way to attach the camera case to my shoulder strap so that it
did not bounce around. My pack was equipped with bungees on the shoulder
straps that were intended to attach water bottles. I used the bungees on
one side to attach the camera case, and on the other side to hold my
poles when I did not want to use them.

It was a little awkward when putting the pack on, but it seemed to work
well.