[pct-l] Good News & Bad News

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Mar 8 19:24:00 CDT 2009

Unsupported Snow Bunny Reinhold writes: Since JMT/PCT Thru-hikers can't avoid it you might as well face it rather than ignore it.? Mammoth Mt.snow pack greatly exceeds the average snow pack for California or the Sierra...that?is why I ski there more than anywhere else....besides, it's right next to my baby, the JMT.? You guys should give it a try some day....keeps your legs in hiking shape during the off-hiking?season and the hot breath melts the snow which will benefit the hikers later in the season.?
Switchback replies: What a crock.? I know from personal experience?why Unsupported tours this winter wonderland each year and hangs around the local resorts.? It is not physical fitness.? And it is not the JMT.? It is not the beauty of the PCT backcountry.? It is not doing a hiker?community duty to report the latest snow conditions.? It has nothing to do with helping the Class of 2009 or whoever to prepare for the mighty Sierras.??

It is the human scenery pure and simple.? On many occasion I have had to?use my snowboard up there to run interference, cut-off,?and spray Unsupported off?the trail of pretty, unsuspecting winter enthusiasts.