[pct-l] Good News & Bad News

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Mar 8 14:21:36 CDT 2009

Ohhh my,
So many nervous and up-tight members on this list...you guys need to read Switchback's posts
more often and loosen up a bit.
Jim, my apologies, I did not no you scare that easy.
And yes Steel-Eye your hot air this year has gone a long way to melt the snow so far.
Keep it up Steel-Eye, don't stop now.

I don't know if you guys realize this or not, but the JMT/PCT run right past Mammoth Mt.and
there is a big difference in snow pack at Mammoth Mt. and snow pack in California or the Sierra
as a whole.
Since JMT/PCT Thru-hikers can't avoid it you might as well face it rather than ignore it.
Mammoth Mt.snow pack greatly exceeds the average snow pack for California or the Sierra...that
is why I ski there more than anywhere else....besides, it's right next to my baby, the JMT.
You guys should give it a try some day....keeps your legs in hiking shape during the off-hiking
season and the hot breath melts the snow which will benefit the hikers later in the season.

Well so long now, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite and don't worry about the bears
tonight.

JMT Reinhold
Your not so nervous trail companion

---------------------------------

Steel-Eye wrote:
Good morning, Jim,

Well said -- however, his comments are not a total waste for PCT hikers:
Remember, hot air melts the snow.

Steel-Eye

>/ > The bad news.......there are tons of snow in the Sierra.
/>/ > Of course that is good news for ''ski bums'' like me but bad news for
/>/ > ''hiker trash'' like you.
/>/
/>/ It's still too early to tell what Sierra conditions the '09 thrus will have
/>/ - so,
/>/ please, quit using the friendly "scare tactics"...
/>/ Snow water content is still below average (see
/>/ http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/PLOT_SWC.2009.pdf)...
/>/ Sierra conditions for thrus will depend more on the amount of future snow
/>/ fall in
/>/ March and April, plus the temperature trend for April and May - not the
/>/ current
/>/ Mammoth skiing conditions...
/>/ Whether the rest of March and April is similar to the 2005-06 trace or the
/>/ 2007-08
/>/ trace is yet to be seen - and June is still a long way off...
/>/
/>/ Happy trails!!!
/>/ Jim / PITA
/>/ ____/