[pct-l] how altimeters work

Postholer public at postholer.com
Tue Mar 3 17:46:05 CST 2009

> (right now it says I am 70 feet bellow sea level and I am definitely not)

You just answered your own question, it doesn't self correct. By setting the
altimeter correctly at least once a day from a known altitude, you also set
the baseline for the barometer.

It works the same way in every aircraft big and small as well. Before you
depart you set your altimeter to the field altitude (usually in the run-up
area) or you can ask the tower for 'altimeter' and they'll give you a
barometric pressure. An alitmeter in an aircraft is just like your watch, it
has an altmeter reading and a barometer reading.

There you go!

-postholer