[pct-l] Nervous about first thru hike

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:42:46 CST 2009

My advice: If you meet up with Tarzan and Zelda near Kearsarge Pass,
don't try to keep up with them going downhill towards Independence ---
those two can move out.  But definitely do take their dining
recommendations ...

Okay, seriously, I suggest walking some distance just around home
(and/or on trail), try if possible to force any foot problems to show
up before you get on trail if you can, so you can hopefully deal with
them ahead of time.

Pack weight is another pre-hike thing to consider: assemble all your
gear and weigh it, or at least get a rough sense for what your total
"base weight" will be --- weight of gear you'll carry on your back not
counting food and water.  If it's above, say, 20 pounds you *might*
consider taking some time to weigh individual items and analyze what
you're carrying to see what reasonable gear changes can get your load
lighter.

It's hard to talk about weight trade-offs without controversy
erupting, and I don't intend that, but if you haven't done such
analysis before then at least some "low hanging fruit" might be worth
picking.  I.e., relatively large weight reduction for relatively low
$$ cost and effort or on-trail process change required.

Folks hiking the AT (Appalachian Trail) have a different sort of
electronic exchange group (www.whiteblaze.net) where many would-be AT
thru-hikers post their proposed gear list and ask for constructive
feedback.   As Zelda said, you can always make en-route gear changes,
but I think it's easier if you're at least in the same ballpark (as
you'll end up wanting to be) to begin with.

I strongly agree with Monty's suggestion to buy Yogi's book (set), at
http://www.pcthandbook.com/

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle