[pct-l] Shoes For Extra Wide Feet?

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 20:33:49 CDT 2009

I too need a wide toe box --- but not an overall wide shoe.  In my case it's
due to "bunionettes", little-toe side bunions.   The alternative to a
decently wide --- and decently shaped --- toe box was surgery.   Bleh.

My solution was Golite brand shoes, I used the Sun Dragon II's for my
thru-hike last year.   It's true that they aren't as durable as a lot of
shoes, but I think this is overstated.  Indeed the cross-the-toe fabric
starts to rip out after 200 - 300 miles, very much depending on chance and
what particular debris or rock the trail has to offer.   So I end up walking
for the other ~half the shoe lifetime with increasingly ripped up
above-the-toe-box fabric.   So what, sez I, the shoes are comfortable and
work for my feet.  On occasion a little debris gets into the shoe that way,
which just made it easier for me to solve the "gaitors or no gaitors"
question (in favor of no-gaiter simplicity, plus long pant legs keep most
stuff out).

I'd use the same shoes if I were to do it again, and indeed if I end up
getting on another long trail I'll go with the same shoes.

I'm not sure that model is much available anymore, however --- looking at
Golite shoe distributors (Zappos.com, Backcountry.com) I'm just seeing newer
models.  From the pictures, it's clear that they still have the nice toe box
shape, dunno about other factors on other models.  I'd have a look at
Zappos.

If anyone gets good experience (a lot of miles) on a pair of some
other/newer model of Golite's, I'd appreciate their feedback, as at some
point I'll use up the couple of backup pairs I've got in reserve!

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle