[pct-l] JMT permits

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sun Jun 28 15:32:14 CDT 2009

Ann Marie wrote:
> I simply have to have an answer to these questions. And the hikers who have been on the JMT will probably know.
>
> I am one of those hikers hoping to land a walkup wildness permit, since the online reservations are fully booked for August for Happy Isles, Tuolumne, and other early trailheads. Everyone wants to depart in August.
>
> I understand the wilderness office(s) will try really hard to get you on the trail the day you walkup. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that each office can just "stamp" the permits for any trailhead even if it's not the one you are at currently. And I can hardly believe that if I'm at Happy Isles and the only opening they have is from Tuolumne that day that they REALLY make the hiker get transportation to Tuolumne to begin the hike. Are there park rangers at every trailhead, checking permits before allowing each hiker to step onto the trails ? (seriously, are there?) How much do you think the fine could be if I have a permit and they find me on the trail before the place my permit allows me to be?  :)  Has anyone BEEN fined and for how much ?

Just to raise your awareness, although you probably already know these
things:
1. If you arrive the night before in Yose Valley or Tuolumne, both have
backpacker campgrounds.  Park your car in the hiker lot (not closeby)
hike in to the campground and camp.  It is paid per person and does not
need reservations.  So at least you have somewhere to sleep.
2. In Yose Valley the hiker lot is close to Happy Isles, along the
shuttle road between Curry Village and Happy Isles.  They don't want you
clogging up the Curry Village parking.  I have seen cars wrecked by
bears in that lot, so make sure you have no food, boxes or coolers
visible in your car.
3. In Tuolumne the hiker parking is by the wilderness office, with
overflow along the trail/road between Tioga Road and north to the
stables area.
4. If you arrive in or want to park at Yose Valley but you want to start
hiking in Tuolumne, there is a hiker bus that leaves Yosemite Lodge
every morning and goes to Tuolumne.  It is not expensive and will drop
you at several spots along Tioga Road.  I used it to hike down Yosemite
Creek/Yosemite Falls one day (hiked back to the valley where I had left
my car).
5.  Be sure that you hike at least 4 miles north or south of Tuolumne or
Happy Isles before camping.  You will see an awful lot of people (day
hikers) within 4 miles of either spot.
6.  I have met backcountry rangers many times in Yosemite.  They are
generally friendly.  I have met them most often in Cold Canyon, Glen
Aulin, and Lyell Canyon.  These areas get a lot of bear activity.  Take
everything you have ever heard about bears in Yosemite, and believe it
and use a cannister and keep your camp clean.  They really are as
troublesome as they say.
7.  If you do decide to hike northbound, Trail Pass is an excellent
place to start.  Walk into the Interagency Visitor Center in Lone Pine
with a typed itinerary (where I will be each night of my trip) and they
will be impressed with your preparation and treat you better than the
average yahoo hiker.  This is a good idea for Yosemite too.  You
certainly don't have to follow that itinerary to the letter once you are
out there.
8.  I hike with llamas and I nearly always get a walk-up permit.  It is
not as hard as it sounds.  I use the trailheads that other people don't
use.  If you just can't get a Yosemite permit, then go up to Leavitt
Meadow on the Sonora Pass road.  In the hiker parking lot you can issue
yourself a permit at the self-service kiosk.  Then hike south ten miles
and you will be on the PCT at the northern boundary of Yosemite.  Hike
on thru the park,  no worries.  Send yourself a resupply at Tuolumne,
keep hiking south to Whitney.
9.  Buy yourself a bear can and use it.
Have a fantastic trip.  We will be hiking Leavitt Meadow to Kennedy
Meadow in August.  I'm drying food right now.