[pct-l] JMT permits

Josh 559josh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 15:39:30 CDT 2009

Few notes & clarifications on Marion's Post:

>2. In Yose Valley the hiker lot is close to Happy Isles, along the shuttle
road between Curry Village and Happy Isles.  They don't want you clogging up
the Curry Village parking.

There is a "Grove" parking area at Curry Village which is about .5mi from
the JMT Trailhead.  The parking is on dirt & among trees...make sure U park
somewhere with consideration to how stupid other drivers can be especially
when there aren't white lines on blacktop...so park in such a manner that it
would have to be deliberate for someone to hit UR car while they're parking.
It's free and as long as UR put UR Wilderness Permit Parking Pass on the
dash U'll be fine...but as Marion said, the bears WILL BREAK IN...so make
sure U don't have anything scented or "Ice Chest-looking" in UR vehicle.  I
almost put "Chesty looking"!  LMFAO!

>4. If you arrive in or want to park at Yose Valley but you want to start
hiking in Tuolumne, there is a hiker bus that leaves Yosemite Lodge every
morning and goes to Tuolumne.  It is not expensive and will drop you at
several spots along Tioga Road.

One-way www.YARTS.org bus ticket from Yosemite Village to Tuolumne Meadows
is $8 (the rates are prorated on distance).  U can pay Cash to the bus
driver so no worries about tracking down a ticket office or anything like
that.  The bus leaves @ 5PM...NOT THE MORNING!!!  So please be aware that U
WILL be camping very near TM if U ride this bus.

>5.  Be sure that you hike at least 4 miles north or south of Tuolumne or
Happy Isles before camping.  You will see an awful lot of people (day
hikers) within 4 miles of either spot.

If U don't have reservations at TM Campground, there is a "4 hiking mile"
min requirement for wilderness camping in the TM area.  The ranger recently
told me that this was to minimize impact to the area around TM.  I believe
that that 4mi is 4 hiking-miles (AKA Trail Miles) from the 120 @ TM (a
trail-mile is opposed to the distance that U can draw on a map).

>8.  I hike with llamas...

Llamas?  Really?  That's awesome!  UR the 1st person I know on the PCT. lol