[pct-l] JMT permits

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Jun 28 00:23:31 CDT 2009

I must disagree with you about rangers, Josh. Yosemite is by far the most anal about regulations. In 4 trips through Tuolumne Meadows, I have never encountered a ranger at any trailhead, but I have always been checked for permit, bear can, and camping fee receipt at the TM backpackers' campground, usually about dusk. I have also been checked for permit and bear can by a ranger stationed along the JMT in Lyell Canyon. Each time it was one of the armed NPS law enforcement rangers rather than the standard unarmed park rangers. Despite having a ranger station at Little Yosemite Valley, we were not visited at the campground or along the trail.

I also ran into two USFS rangers near Thousand Island Lake last summer. They asked about, but did not want to see, my permit and bear can.

I am told by those I trust that there is a female ranger patrolling from Reds Meadow south to (but not including) Tulley Hole each season. Reportedly, this lady has historically exhibited an overtly aggressive and nasty attitude toward hikers.