[pct-l] Remedies for loss of appetite

Diane Soini diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jun 22 19:40:04 CDT 2009

I don't have any suggestions for why you lost your appetite. I've been
struggling with my stomach, too, for several weeks. I cannot eat much
but I do get hungry. Usually after I eat, I'm pretty sorry I did,
except for dinner. By sorry I mean that I feel queasy and on jarring
downhills my stomach actually hurts. Even town food doesn't sit well.

Some foods don't bother me so much but I am not eating a lot of volume
of any foods. I haven't really lost a lot of weight, either, and have
only had a couple of bonking moments, so I think I'm ok so far.

I thought it might be some kind of bug because I have not treated all
my water. But I don't have the runs, and sometimes it's been the
opposite.

I've been experiencing this at low and high elevation, so it's not
elevation-related.

My only solution has been to carry many different foods and more food
than I actually need for the segment, so if I can't stomach the
thought of hummus and pita chips I can eat pudding instead, for
example. Eventually the hummus sounds good again and I can eat it.
Sometimes just drinking a half liter or more of an electrolyte/vitamin
drink really helps. I have thought that if my hot dinner doesn't seem
to bother me, perhaps I should cook a mid-day meal, too, but so far I
have not felt I could eat it.

Sorry you are not feeling well.

Diane