[pct-l] PCT Fever & JMT Fever

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Jun 21 04:40:22 CDT 2009

Joe,
I call it the  ''PCT Fever''  and I know exactly what you are talking about.
I get the exact same sensations about the JMT  and I call it the ''JMT
Fever.''
I first caught it in the summer of 1996 and have been coming down with
it every summer since.
It's like a beautyful woman,  ''Once bitten forever hooked''.
The only cure for it is to hike it and I have been doing that basicilly
every summer since.
Lord, I feel that itch coming allready.......the  '' Fever ''  is
breaking out allready......the JMT is calling me!!!

I'm not the only one.....seems to me everybody on this list has been
bitten by a beautyful woman and is suffering from some kind of fever.

Maybe the Marine Corps was right when they were telling us  ''Stay away
from the women they are nothing but trouble.''!!!
We did not believe them then, but there might be something to that.

JMT Reinhold
Your  ''JMT Fever''  suffering trail companion
Joe wrote:
As my friends are traversing the trail at record paces, I can not help
from dreaming of being there with them. When I get a call from Scott, I
know exactly where he is calling from. I can, in my mind walk ahead, see
every turn, gaze upon every hill, mountain, and valley. I can do the
math in my head and predict when they get to the next water, town and
road. All this without a book. I can see the trees, boulders, my old
camp sites and predict where they will bed down. And I can do this all
the way to Canada. When I analyze this, I find it absolutely amazing.
Knowing a simple footpath with so much intimacy, that you can remember
every nook and crannie. Some call it smelling the roses, but it is far
more absorbing than that, the love that these guys have for this trail,
is nothing less than Grand. They all have love ones at home, live on
small budgets all year, and sacrafice it all to be where they are. Good
luck my friends, a piece of me will be with you guys to the end... Joe
Kisner aka..tatu-jo