[pct-l] Remedies for loss of appetite

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Jun 21 06:50:19 CDT 2009

Clint,
Did you ever consider that perhaps your problem was acute mountain
sickness ''AMS'' resulting from a lack of acclimatization?
''AMS'' can cause any and all the symptoms you described and the fact
that the symptoms emerged at Wrightwood, at high
altitude, could point toward ''AMS''.
Longer acclimatization and or less strenuous activity (less aggressive
hiking) resulting in lower oxygen demand until acclimatized
might solve the problem.
I experienced loss of appetite & stamina on some of my JMT fastpacks due
to ''AMS''
I also would suggest you take food that you really like.
It is strange how you can loose your taste for food you like normally.
But, I never lost my taste for cheese, BB chips or Snickers bars.
Some folks frown on that as junk food......Perhaps, but if you can eat
it it is better for you than normal healthy food that you can't get it
down or keep it down.
If you fastpack at high altitude go for what your body craves and if
that is high in fat and sweets, so what....more calories  and
faster release.
Besides, you will burn all the fat anyhow.
Forget all about a normal, healthy diet.....long distance hikers are not
normal.
Normal people do not wander around on wilderness trails for month's at a
time.....that is not normal.
Let's face it, we are far from normal and a normal diet may not be right
for abnormal people under certain circumstances. Especially for those
really extremely abnormal ones, grazing in the meadows may be a better
option.

JMT Reinhold
The grazer

Clint wrote:
Hello, I was intending to post this in October when thru-hikers are
home. But I'm getting antsy to get back on the trail and try another
segment of the PCT. I'm hoping you can provide some insight and possible
solutions to the issue. I haven't seen this discussed in the archives;
there seems to be more talk of this on the whiteblaze.net site. The
problem that took me off the trail was my stomach and constant hunger. I
had a complete lose of appetite around Wrightwood (mile 364). Over the
next two weeks I had to gag/choke my food down in small quantities. The
last few days I was throwing-up my breakfast. I felt tired/lethargic
most of the day. I had a few "bonking"/"hitting the wall"/"complete
energy shutdown" events while hiking where I simply had to sleep an hour
or so before resuming. It bothered me enough I eventually quit at
Tehachapi (mile 566). I'll first talk about the suggestions I've
received already as well as read about regarding loss of appetite. The
question is whether I'm missing something. Afterwards I'll give more
gory details as to my decline on the trail. Maybe it will provide
insight into something I am over-looking.