[pct-l] The Zen of the Passes

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Sat Jun 20 21:26:08 CDT 2009

First as Strider told us at the kickoff I feel I must reveal my experience level with snow travel in the Sierra. Not meant as a brag.. Just perspective. I have travelled the Sierra around Northern Yosemite crosscountry  ontop of snow pack every spring since 1991.
The biggest lesson I continue to learn is self control is the most powerful tool and indeed sometimes the only thing we as humans have left in the face of conditions hostile to our lives.
Your attitude determines your reality.. Truly.
The High Sierra Passes have been Beautiful despite or perhaps because of the weather. Glen,Pinchot,Mather,Muir,Selden, and Silver pass have snow on their approaches and much more on the way down the north side but all were splendid and quite Passable. By far the approach to Mather pass(nobo) and the descent from Muir(nobo) had the most snow fields. Muir in fact had snow for miles beyond. The sleet,hail,snowflakes, and rain that fell made it all the more intense but no more dangerous.
Go slow, enjoy it.
Always remember you have everything on your back you need to stop at ANY point and just camp if neccesary.
I was once "lost", alone, atop snow,wet,cold, and very scared. After panic and chasing my own trail around that snowy ridgetop in the fading light I finally just camped.
The next morning the trail became clear.. Everything seemed better despite the worsening weather and I found the way.
If you feel lost remember the question is not "Where am I?" but "Where is this place?"
You always know where YOU are, and that state of mind lends you much  mental strength.
I am not trying to be a guru here but I have been witness to a lot of fear and double guessing this year since joining this hiker community of ours.
I want to help.
You are VERY much stronger than you think physically so long as that strength and energy is DIRECTED by your mind from a relative state of calm. To lose your cool is to be left in the cold.
Take heart Class of 2009.
Don't turn back..
Do what we came to do..
Prepare for the worst of course, but..