[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 18, Issue 59

Pat Megowan patmegowan at comcast.net
Wed Jun 17 11:34:01 CDT 2009

Nice summary Clint, thanks for taking the time to share it.

One more thought - I'm surprised at how much better I feel when I put my
feet up to rest, whether laying down (closed cell foam on outside of pack is
handy for this) or draping myself over handy rocks/logs. While I don't
always do it, if a stop is more than a minute or so it makes a noticeable
difference, and in general I feel more rested sooner. There may be an
occasional problem of dropping off to sleep...

Feet higher than heart works best, but anything beats near vertical. When I
used to carry a heavy pack I was (strangely) reluctant to get extricated
from it for a short break and would just perch on a rock or log, still
fairly vertical. W/my pack now normally under 20lbs w/food it's easy to
sling off and flop down for a relaxing break.

I also feel a more connected to the country I'm hiking in if I flop down for
breaks more often - sort of "comfortable anywhere in this landscape" effect,
though of course good judgment applies. Tough w/heavy mosquitoes!