[pct-l] Remedies for loss of appetite

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Tue Jun 16 18:23:21 CDT 2009

Hi Clint,

I've had a similar experience before, not just with hiking but with other
strenuous endurance activities. In my case it was always a combination of
not eating enough calories combined with extreme physical over-exertion.

I think you're on the right track with the solution. If I was you here is
what I would do:

1) Cut your base pack weight down to a max of 15 lbs. This should be easy.
23 lbs is pretty outlandish these days. You should be able to get down to 15
lbs (or less) with no trouble. My base pack weight is down to 9.5 lbs now
and I don't even miss anything.

2) Up your food to at least 2-3 lbs per day and make sure to include lots of
fat, sugar and carbohydrates. (Chocolate, cheese, skittles, sausage, chips,
crackers, cookies, tortillas, olive oil, etc.) You don't have to replace all
your food with junk food if you don't want to, but you can add a bunch of it
to your regular trail diet just to bump up the calories.

You will probably want to buy as you go instead of doing mail drops. That
way you won't feel committed to eating food that you selected weeks or
months ago. Then you can make adjustments as necessary without wasting the
stuff you've already prepared, or eating it out of guilt even though it's
not what you really need.

3) Try to gain an extra 10 pounds or so of body weight before you leave on
your next big hike. This will help act as a buffer against your fast
metabolism. No matter how much food you carry you'll probably still be
running a caloric deficit. But if you have some extra fat then your body can
metabolize it for extra energy when it's not getting enough calories from
food.

I think that with a combination of lighter pack and more calorie dense food
you'll probably be feeling a lot stronger. The only other things I can think
of is to keep your head away from direct sunlight (with a good hat or
umbrella) and drink lots of water.

Happy trails,
Erik the Black
www.eriktheblack.com