[pct-l] Free SPOT rebate with 2 year contract-beware

Albach ralbach at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 16 18:05:51 CDT 2009

regarding this thread:

 Re: Free SPOT rebate with 2 year contract-beware

What you are likely facing here are two issues:
(a) reseller terms; and (b) services vs. fixed product purchases.

(a) reseller terms:
As a general rule a manufacturer sets a floor on the minimum amount a vendor can sell their products and this is written into the reseller contract. Why? To protect their brand image, guarantee a reasonable profit to a wider range of resellers among others. Essentially the retailer accepts the contract and its terms or not. Typically they don't get to not accept and still sell the products.

(b) services vs. fixed product purchase:
Hopefully I can do this justice. There is SPOT the handheld device and then there is SPOT the service. Modern accounting practices say a vendor must recognize revenue for these in different ways. So lets start with the handheld device - as mentioned above I'm sure there are floors to the rates at which these can be discounted. But this is essentially a capital expenditure and you get a physical product to take home. Spot however is worthless without an infrastructure of space vehicles whirring above the earth and while I can't guarantee it I'm pretty sure they don't belong to Spot. Similarly Spot likely did not build a telephony infrastructure to get your Spot message to whomever you selected. All of this infrastructure requires ongoing payments for continued use from SPOT. REI or any other reseller has neither the obligation or ability to deliver any of it.

Here is my bet - these kinds of product + service combination are pretty unusual in outdoor rec environments per my observation but rather common in the tech industry (my *real* world) so I'm guessing that REI's blanket 20% discount was not really thought through with regards to this style of hybrid product.

What the actual impact is on SPOT's profitability is or my own guestimates above is speculative. But it looks very familiar and am suggesting this explanation for why the SPOT folks noted that this transaction was unfortunate.

-Robert