[pct-l] who pays?

Mark Liechty mlaccs at mlaccs.com
Sun Jun 7 12:48:24 CDT 2009

Donna Saufley wrote:
The Pacific Crest is a National Scenic Trail, established by an act of
Congress in 1968. It's lead agency is the the U.S. Forest Service, under
the Department of Agriculture.

There is no threat whatsoever now or in the foreseeable future to the
ability for hikers to hike the PCT legally (with permits), with the
exception of limited closures due to fires or damage.
############

I am not sure we are having the same discussion.   Are you saying the
PCTA has total control of all of the roads, parking lots, side trails
and other things that are needed for the PCT?

If so then it is great that the PCTA has a guaranteed funding source
that is not likely to be cut.  But I am guessing that this is not the case.

While the trail itself may be open the ability to get to it has ties
that depend on City, County, State, National Park, National Forest and
private access points.    If I were on the final vote panel to close the
XYZ trailhead parking lot and close the access road or fix the
stoplights where little kids get run over coming home from school the
parking lot and back roads are getting shut down.  Not because I want
them to close but because my voters are not the people on those trails.

Since the people on the trail demand services the City, State, County,
cannot provide they will not just let the road be open in a primitive
manner do to maintenance and liability issues.  Closing the road and
putting up a no-trespassing sign may even increase revenue.   Closing
the roads and access points will save me law enforcement dollars since
there is no need to patrol the areas.

So yes, the trail will be "open" but if you cannot resupply or get to is
that may not matter.

I am not being a pessimist.  I am being a realist.  If the hiking
community built it's argument in advance it will be much easier then
standing against other organized special interests who have been working
on their arguments for longer with stronger needs to remain in
existence.  "Public good" = close the trails.   "We pay our taxes" =
yeah, but not enough.  "Federal mandate" = no money to pay for the
mandate and what do you do if it is ignored?

But this is an interesting discussion.

Mark "Blankie" Liechty
mlaccs @ mlaccs . com