[pct-l] who pays?

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sun Jun 7 12:24:54 CDT 2009

Mark Liechty wrote:

"It is entirely possible that the class of 09 will be the last on the
PCT.    At least the last that makes the hike in a LEGAL manner."

The Pacific Crest is a National Scenic Trail, established by an act of
Congress in 1968.  It's lead agency is the the U.S. Forest Service, under
the Department of Agriculture.  The permit process for hiking the trail in
increments of 500 miles or more has been delegated to the PCTA in the
Memorandum of Understanding that has been executed between the PCTA and the
agencies through which the trail passes.

There is no threat whatsoever now or in the foreseeable future to the
ability for hikers to hike the PCT legally (with permits), with the
exception of limited closures due to fires or damage.

L-Rod